Support forums : The Future

Quick question: Where are we in HTML5 (and CSS3)?

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Quick question: Where are we in HTML5 (and CSS3)?

Postby Laibcoms » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm curious as to where are we in HTML5 and CSS3? Trying to catch up with this area, especially now that more than half (subjective I know) of HTML5 is usable and stable, and more and more CSS3 modules are becoming 'W3C Recommendations'.

Are we go by any chance when it comes to what is stable and what works across browsers (without JavaScript of course - I mean, with stuff that's natively interpreted by the browsers). Secondly, ie6, are we still catering to them, and ie7 for that matter? In XP, the last version of ie is ie8 so I think we should cater to at least ie8, and drop ie6 and ie7? On my 2 blogs, and the other sites I'm managing, ie6 and ie7 are almost non-existent if compared against ie8 and ie9. I'm already getting a few ie10 lolz.

Anyway, the templates that are still sitting on my localhost will be having a split. default_name will be HTML5 + CSS3 (ie I'll be adding CSS3 stuff, so that means it will no longer be the stock template as found from the original source); then the XHTML version will be named as default_name_xhtml.

Lastly, anyone have an HTML5 branch I can pull? If not, I'll branch.

Thanks!
QuamPlures Template: Paninap Themes
Add me: Google+
Blogs: The Hæven of John; gameshogun
Laibcoms
Dracone

Re: Quick question: Where are we in HTML5 (and CSS3)?

Postby EdB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:06 am

I've been running html5-compatible on the display side for a hell of a long time now, and there is no sense in doing html5 if you're not going to play with css3. BUT as far as core is concerned it is still xhtml(trans/strict) and css2.

Personally I say to hell with IE6 support.

BTW I've also completely blown out support for xhtml strict. It seems quite useless when all I have to do is code in a way that would be strict and call it trans so it doesn't freak out if I dare to use a target attribute. What I mean is QP5 doesn't have any option for using strict - it is gone.

html5 on the writing side is a total bitch to build in. The problem comes in when you try to validate an item's content AFTER switching templates and editing the item. How could we have an "aside" inside a post (valid html5) then switch to a xhtml template? What will the post display, and what will happen when they edit the post? Ignoring editing and switching, what happens when content built according to the html5 standard is aggregated into an xhtml template? So to my way of thinking all content needs to be compatible with both xhtml and html5 else we're asking for display problems.

Anyway to answer your question, I don't think I have any branches that show html5 support in any way shape or form. All too often the answer here has been "not until it is a standard". So QP5 went there on the public side because it was reasonably easy to do. I'd love to see what you got going on though.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Laibcoms » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Ahh, cool cool. I'll play with it then and see. I'll create a branch and upload it once there are considerable HTML5-CSS3 changes in it… I just have to start learning how to merge when there are plenty of changes from the main branch, to keep it in sync at least.

Though it will be hard to make it "valid HTML5" since the test tools themselves are not that updated yet. Although to be honest, I got disillusioned about it (even the W3C's). Anyway, let's see. ^_^
QuamPlures Template: Paninap Themes
Add me: Google+
Blogs: The Hæven of John; gameshogun
Laibcoms
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 pm

If you want, I can probably come up with a really quick branch that covers the highlights.

Actually it won't be that easy but it can be done. Template type needs to add 'html5' as an option, and a few functions need to be able to build the <head> section appropriately for html5. Like doctype and how style sheets and javascripts get added. I have 2 html5 templates done, plus an xhtml+css3 template that Yabs originally made but never finished.

BTW all html5 templates break the "no javascript required" rule, sort of. There is a bit of js that google makes available that supports older browsers being able to handle the elements that should be treated like divs but aren't because they didn't exist. Not exactly "required" because modern browsers handle html5 just fine, but needed for those still stuck in the last century I guess.

Lemme know if you'd like to see that as a starting point.

Edit Are you able to see the "The Vault" forum? If so head to viewtopic.php?p=7077#p7077 and check out the link therein. I'm not using QP to advertise QP5 is the thing, but QP5 from a few weeks back is available for your viewing pleasure.
EdB
Dracone

Return to The Future