Support forums : You can sense the bug

Share your email address!

Not like "it smells funny when I click that". This is for bugs that don't show an error but something just doesn't seem right or ends up doing something you think is wrong. It doesn't show you an error but you know something ain't right.

Moderator: Dracones

Share your email address!

Postby Yabs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 pm

When sending email notifications on new posts / comments the authors email is used as the sender email.

Code: Select all
            if( $display ) echo T_('Notifying:').$notify_email."<br />\n";
            if( $debug >= 2 )
            {
                echo "<p>Sending notification to $notify_email:<pre>$cache_by_locale[$notify_locale]['message']</pre>";
            }

send_mail( $notify_email, NULL, $cache_by_locale[$notify_locale]['subject'], $cache_by_locale[$notify_locale]['message'],
                                    $this->creator_User->get('email'), $this->creator_User->get('preferredname') );
        } 

Personally I don't want every man and his dog having the ability to get my email address.

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Re: Share your email address!

Postby EdB » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Does each individual have the option to turn off notifications of posts (and/or comments?) they write? Looks like no, so maybe that would be the solution? I'd say in the "Email communications" block add a checkbox for "Allow subscriptions" with a note that explains that means the subs emails come from your account. Else we have to fake the from field which will make it that much more likely that notifications get blocked by spam blockers.

Wait ... lemme think ... spam blockers are a bitch to predict, but "source is foo.bar but email addy is @bumble.bee" might be a trigger mechanism so perhaps a much smarter solution is required? Actually I think the emails we send that get caught by spam filters are due to something else but I'm not sure. Just kinda winging it here...

ANYWAY maybe to turn on notifications *period* we should require a valid email addy for the feature, and include a footer text that says something like
imaginary footer text wrote:this is from a program. the email addy is valid but probably not monitored, and anyway it is not the author's email addy so don't reply to this email.
We can then append to that line - assuming the author of the item has authorized putting their email addy into emails sent to subscribers when they post
imaginary footer text wrote:To reply to the author click the damned permalink and leave a comment because that's what a friggin blog app is all about, or if you're into doing the private email thing to someone you probably don't know {{try clicking here}}.
Those last 3 words get an email link with a subject "re: your blog post email" or whatever.

Off topic BarnDoor's initial snapshot of the package is a bitch to create. It has to have qp_config/_main_config.php in it because it does, but that file is always wrong for each installation ... although the byte size could possibly be the same. So if you edit it out that means the file that contains the initial snapshot is always wrong. I guess I could build in a way to not grab that then manually redo the file size for the snapshot file? Or just not worry about it :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:25 pm

It is very common when using emails for notifications (when a person opts in) to use a no-reply@sender_domain.xxx These emails don't accept incoming emails and are not monitored. This method should probably be used for notifications/subscriptions by email along with the proper noticed that the sender's email can not be replied to and the mail box is not monitored.

This also brings up another point. I have never used the subscriptions or notifications by email. If a person opts into receiving email subscriptions and/or notifications, under the Can Spam Act, that email subscription or notification must also contain a way for the user to opt out of future emails. Is that implemented in QP? Either a link to a form for the user to opt out, or an email address to send opt out notices would need to be included with all email subscriptions or notifications.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 pm

Yep to noreply@domain.tld ;)

Kimberly wrote:This also brings up another point. I have never used the subscriptions or notifications by email. If a person opts into receiving email subscriptions and/or notifications, under the Can Spam Act, that email subscription or notification must also contain a way for the user to opt out of future emails. Is that implemented in QP? Either a link to a form for the user to opt out, or an email address to send opt out notices would need to be included with all email subscriptions or notifications.

The email contains this :
subscription wrote:Edit your subscriptions/notifications: http://dev.innervisions.org.uk/index.php?disp=subs

It could easily be reworded to better comply with Can Spam.

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Return to You can sense the bug