Support forums : You can sense the bug

Templates

Not like "it smells funny when I click that". This is for bugs that don't show an error but something just doesn't seem right or ends up doing something you think is wrong. It doesn't show you an error but you know something ain't right.

Moderator: Dracones

Templates

Postby Yabs » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 am

This is another one that's not a bug, but it bugs me and it's bloody simple to "fix"

Once again this comes from playing with the QP install for our hosting site. I'm in the middle of creating a template for it that I can seamlessly, cos I'm *that* good, integrate into our closed source management app ( you wouldn't *believe* how crap their xhtml is! Good job I'm more imaginative than they are when it comes to "stop the user getting the html source" ;) ), anyway, I'm pretty sure all of you know how this goes *and* has experienced it ;)

You start by copying the template of your choice.
You play with the code, maybe throw in/out some css
Swap a few images
And then install it in admin > global settings > templates > add new, and then wander off to your blog to install it there and start playing
You throw in a few widgets ... you refresh the blog view
You throw in some more widgets ... rip others out ... play with the drag 'n' drop cos it's soooooooo fuckin' cool!
And then you decide that you need another container
So, you add it to your template and then ... instead of just being able to reload it on the handy lil templates tab ... you have to meander over to global settings > templates ... hit reload ... meander over to blog settings > [blog] > widgets, before you can start using it

Annoying huh?

Be even sweeter if you had a "reload template" button on the widgets screen ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Re: Templates

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 am

+1!
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Good idea. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Something marginally related: if you wipe out a template_container and reload the template and go to a blog that uses that template and delete all the widgets that were in it, you still get that container listed on your widgets page. Change to a diff template then back, which for some reason means going out to the public side, and you still get that container listed.

The only way to actually wipe out that container from your list of containers on your widget page is to stop using the template so you can delete the template then re-install the template then select the template. Which throws you out into the public side.

Haven't checked out https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... idget_work at all so I dunno if you're going anywhere near this but I thought of this thread when I just wiped out the Header container in favor of a pair of good old fashioned Blog->disp( thing ) bits because we just don't have enough control over the widgetry to get tight with html5.
EdB
Dracone

Return to You can sense the bug