Support forums : You can sense the bug

Toolbar has non-existent links

Not like "it smells funny when I click that". This is for bugs that don't show an error but something just doesn't seem right or ends up doing something you think is wrong. It doesn't show you an error but you know something ain't right.

Moderator: Dracones

Toolbar has non-existent links

Postby Yabs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Hover over "stats", meander down to "user sessions" (once you wait for the crap suckerfish shit that can be done with css alone ), click

Another one : install a/any tool tab plugin, hover over tools ... stand back in aghast when you don't see the tool listed

... yeah, I'm bored, it's been a long day ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Re: Toolbar has non-existent links

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 pm

User sessions works. Dunno what the issue is you're seeing, but it is telling me I was last seen just now.

Tools will get an entry in the (incredibly swift and oh-so-beautifully-crafted) navbar if the plugin uses AdminAfterNavbarInit() - learned that from ripping through the test plugin :)

It'd be cool if it was pure CSS, but oh well eh? For now anyway... Not even slightly related, it'd be way cool if we could do css-driven dropdowns and flyouts for categories and maybe other stuff. Like, put a blog list in one visible link that opens up to a full blog list.

Back on the topic of the toolbar/navbar: there is a bug that I bumped into but am having a hard time moving up the priority list. Actually I'm having a hard time reproducing it reliably. Lots of stuff depends on $blog having a value. Under some conditions (that I can't reproduce) I've had the write button not go to the blog I was looking at. There was also something else where I had dropdown options that failed when clicked, but would actually work immediately after failing. When I hit on that I thought "OMG that is related to the occasional not going to the right blog because $blog is somehow jacked up in the navbar" but didn't pay any mind to it because if we fix every bug we'll have nothing to do tomorrow. Or I figured "later" and went back to touching my penis.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Actually, I'll bet you bumped into exactly what I did: links that under certain conditions exist but don't work. I never actually hit the user sessions thing because I think it is stupid and if I had any time I'd wipe it off the face of the Stats tab, but anyway I'll bet you getting a bad link is related to me getting a bad link even though the links work.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:57 pm

EdB wrote:Or I figured "later" and went back to touching my penis.

Your memory is almost as long as your (touched) penis! ... and has about as many working cells :roll:

I'll have to check and see if "you're currently here, pressing this doesn't work ... stroke your penis and try again ... click" works ;)

If not then I'm happy enough to just stroke my dick and tell people that it's a bug their end of the connection :roll:

Seems a weird bug though ... mind you, aren't they all?

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:04 pm

EdB wrote:Tools will get an entry in the (incredibly swift and oh-so-beautifully-crafted) navbar if the plugin uses AdminAfterNavbarInit() - learned that from ripping through the test plugin :)

You'd expect it to work with pre-existing hooks as well ;)

Code: Select all
    /**
     * Adds our tooltab if the user is god
     * @see Plugin::AdminAfterMenuInit()
     */

function AdminAfterMenuInit()
    {
        global 
$current_User;
        if( 
$current_User->ID != )
        {
            return 
false;
        }

$this->register_menu_entry$this->T_('Evo converter') );
    } 

Why the hell make a plugin hook into 2 hooks just to add the same shit?

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Yabs wrote:Seems a weird bug though ... mind you, aren't they all?

At this point I think you have to look pretty deep to find something that breaks the app or simply bugs people. I'd venture to say we're at least 5 clicks from the nearest "this bugs me" situation. That's a good thing eh?

Heck that's a way to grade bug reports: how many clicks (typing text into a field counts as a single click) in a fresh installation does it take to see the problem? The bigger the number the lower the bug priority :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Now there's a metric I can live with :D

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Yabs wrote:
Code: Select all
    /**
     * Adds our tooltab if the user is god
     * @see Plugin::AdminAfterMenuInit()
     */
    function AdminAfterMenuInit()
    {

Why the hell make a plugin hook into 2 hooks just to add the same shit?

Missed this, and that is a very good question. It doesn't seem to make the least bit of sense eh? Can you add "don't require two hooks when one will do" to your migrator plugin, or shall we make a new branch for it?

BTW I never knew that hook existed. Everything I ever did back in evoland that had a tools tab never added an entry to the evobar. Only going through the text in that plugin recently caused me to stumble upon it :)

And yeah I totally like grading bugs by how hard they are to reproduce, but it wouldn't be the only metric I guess. If it actually causes a totally dead page then that should knock 5 off the total. But holy crap it provides a measurable way to say if this or that is more or less important than the other guy's issue.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:15 pm

I just found a small handle on this problem. I hit an installation I wasn't logged into, so hit the login link. I was in blog B in public but ended up generically in blog A. So I hit the stats->user sessions link and ended up on the stats generic page instead. Eventually it got me to the user sessions stats but still doesn't select a blog even though on first entry back there it hit on blog A.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Just bumped into this again, and again it is when you are brand new to your installation. This time I installed my "everything" copy after doing all the core updates that just got done, and the double-fix to template stuff I've been on about. I logged in then figured that was dumb and went to launch my "template tester". It opens all the templates I have on blog #1 with a "?viewmode=foo" tacked on it. Figured I'd upload an image so each template would have to resize it, so I used the navbar to Files->upload to a blog. The option was available but I got a dead page out of it.

This one might be easily fixed so this is kinda a note from me to me I guess. It is building a menu item with blog 0 in a place that blog 0 totally fails. Somewhere I recall telling it to know that blog is 0, so it must then be saying "if it is set then I can do this" which obviously isn't good. Need to test for if it is true ... assuming isset() is the nature of the problem ... and that setting the blog to 0 was a good thing to do.
EdB
Dracone

Next

Return to You can sense the bug