Support forums : You can see the bug

the only post is intro-main

A red message that stops the whole page from loading; a full page, but a message that looks like it came from the server; a red box with red text that we made: All of these are bugs you can see, so report them here. kthxbai :)

Moderator: Dracones

Forum rules
Can you copy/paste the error message, or do a screenshot that shows what is wrong? If not maybe you've got a "you can sense it" bug.

the only post is intro-main

Postby EdB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 am

It shows up, of course. AND you get
Sorry, there is nothing to display...
which is obviously untrue because right above that is the something that just got displayed.

I normally keep the stupid intro-main edited out but am trying to run QP+branches and I haven't made a branch for getting rid of intro-mains yet. Such is life eh? Anyway it obviously did display something THEN said there is nothing to display. As they say in places where the hipsters gather: not cool.
EdB
Dracone

Re: the only post is intro-main

Postby Tblue » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, technically that's correct, the main post list is empty. Maybe change the message? "Sorry, there is no more data to display..." or something like that?
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 pm

Seriously? I got this feeling that nobody really cares about *why* it says there is nothing to display when there obviously is something displayed. Heck why not have some sort of message after the last post "sorry nothing else here"?

The root of the problem, just thinking out loud, is that an item displayed in the main content area is internally deemed to not be an item even though it obviously is an item. This ignores the absurd reality of "item-main", which remains a candidate for complete and utter destruction (to me anyway).
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:01 am

Okay. I guess my response was a typical "developer response": "It's confusing but it's technically correct. Everything is fine.".

Software is for users. So let's make it more obvious for them. :)

Good, what do we have? There's an intro post. It has been displayed, but there no normal posts and that's why we display that message. It made sense back then when we didn't have intro posts, but now we need a better solution.

What shall we do? Display the intro post only and nothing else? I think that looks a little bit weird, but I agree that the message that we display now in such a case is confusing for normal users.

So, I don't really know what exactly we should change, but what about making the message dynamic? One for cases where there is no intro post (we could use the current message as it fits perfectly in that case) and something else -- a clearer message? -- if there was an intro post.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:28 am

I was thinking along the lines of a dynamic message, or maybe remembering we just did *something* so don't do that message.

Then it dawned on me how often can we reasonably and realistically expect the only item in the database to be an intro-main item? In other words, I was working on my web and decided since I knew the whole scope of what the deal would be I figured I'd try to see if the intro-main has any use. Because my opinion is the way the logic works in that area is horrible. Anyway I made one post and saw what I saw.

I'm trying to get in the habit of reporting issues that make me think "stupid software" because that thought is always followed by "yeah but aren't you like a player in that stupid software?" and I don't like where that logic goes ;)

ANYWAY after posting that I put up 55 posts for templates. A screenshot as an attached image, and a link to download the zip. In other words, problem solved by having more than one post.

Off topic I then decided to change the posts by having the screenshot inline and floated instead of attached so the tiny amount of text for "download the zip" could go next to it. For some reason, and it could be something I did, FM in a popup would NOT allow me to insert inline the html for an image. BUT it would let me do it for a zip. I tried a few things all to no avail, then moved it all to my WAMP thingie and duplicated the problem. Now I'm going to go back to "QP current" but not v000 to see if I can duplicate the problem there. FWIW I have 57 images and 55 zips in that blog's media folder and I've already wondered if that is part of the issue.

Back on topic, if we rated "bugs" where 1 is extremely low level and 10 is a show-stopper, this one would be 1 maybe 2. It therefore deserves that much energy ... though it is nice to keep these things in mind just in case someone is in that neighborhood and has an aha moment.
EdB
Dracone

Return to You can see the bug