Support forums : You can see the bug

Should this have happened?

A red message that stops the whole page from loading; a full page, but a message that looks like it came from the server; a red box with red text that we made: All of these are bugs you can see, so report them here. kthxbai :)

Moderator: Dracones

Forum rules
Can you copy/paste the error message, or do a screenshot that shows what is wrong? If not maybe you've got a "you can sense it" bug.

Should this have happened?

Postby Kimberly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:09 pm

I decided to upload the current snapshot for the new site I am building since the one I was using had the "bug" on the "create blog" thingy in the backend. I ran the upgrade since I was unsure where things stood. I got an error message:

Quam_Plures_Error.jpg
Quam_Plures_Error.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 6762 times

OK, I thought. I went back to the blog and was told that it was not yet finish with the setup. I ran the upgrade option again and got the following message after it finished:

Quam_Plures_Success.jpg
Quam_Plures_Success.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 6762 times

Going to the blog it works as it should.
Kimberly
Dracone

Re: Should this have happened?

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Bummer. I saw that error a few times and finally nailed it. Or, I thought I nailed it because I stopped seeing it. The trick was finding where the stupid zero came from. Anyway I thought I found it and did a branch, but Tblue didn't like the branch because he thought there might still be a zero and had a complicated way to "ensure" there wouldn't be a zero but he didn't ever see the zero or test the branch or test his solution. So I said "fuck it" and let the branch sit there until maybe a month ago when I deleted it.

It is a bug in the installer/upgrader, and it isn't the only one. I guess I could try to recreate the branch and see about fixing it again?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

When it checked the database schema and found 4, shouldn't it have simply stopped and told me the database schema was up to date?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:55 pm

The upgrading process, without opening files and going into great detail, keeps track of which step is has done. The db_version stored needs to match the one on the _application.php file, else it tells you to upgrade. Each step of the way it stores "where we are at" then moves on to the next step. This way if you are on db_version 4 and need to get to 12 (for example) it'll store 5 and 6 and 7 and WHOOPS- crash. Now the database knows it did up to 7, so we are better able to attempt a recovery.

Anyway the zero issue was a comparison of what it was, what it currently is, and what it needs to be. If memory serves me, the problem was/is that we didn't actually store a zero. Or something like that. Two solutions in my head back then were (a) go back in time and release with a 1 instead of 0, or (b) hammer at that damned "0 not 4" issue until it stopped showing up. (b) sounded easier, but it never made it to core. Instead we still have a bug that was known about a long long time ago.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 pm

We should just fix it as we see fit now.
leeturner
Dracone

Return to You can see the bug