Support forums : You can see the bug

Permission Error?

A red message that stops the whole page from loading; a full page, but a message that looks like it came from the server; a red box with red text that we made: All of these are bugs you can see, so report them here. kthxbai :)

Moderator: Dracones

Forum rules
Can you copy/paste the error message, or do a screenshot that shows what is wrong? If not maybe you've got a "you can sense it" bug.

Re: Permission Error?

Postby edoc7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 pm

There are 11 versions of that file.

Two of them are QP sample files.

Is this the one I should worry about?

/public_html/.htaccess
edoc7

Postby edoc7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Here is the /_private/.htaccess file content:

Code: Select all
# -FrontPage-

Options None

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
require group authors administrators
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthType Basic
AuthName http://www.bibleseven.com
AuthUserFile /home/bible/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/bible/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp
edoc7

Postby leeturner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Kimberly wrote:Check with your hosts to see if they have made changes to the .htaccess file, or if you have made changes to it. I got permission errors with QP due to settings in my .htaccess. The same settings had no affect with that other app so I am not sure why QP was affected and that other app was not. Once I removed the entries from the .htaccess file the permission errors went away. I would like to know why QP was affected and the other app was not because the entries were there to prevent spammers.

What were the entries that you had to remove ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm

The server host is asking if the Blog app is up to date.

Have any updates been made recently?
edoc7

Postby edoc7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Server host says he does not believe they have done anything to impact the .htaccess file and I sure didn't.
edoc7

Postby EdB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Well, if it used to work and now doesn't then obviously something changed. Since you did not change your installation it must be that something in your server configuration changed, whether they want to say so or not. BTW upgrading is an unrealistic answer, unless you downgraded right before the error showed up. Does that make sense? In order to solve the problem the change that brought about the problem must be found. Since the change was not your files then the files aren't the problem.

The .htaccess that matters is most certainly not the one in /private/. Or any named sample.htaccess because those won't be read by the server. Paste in the one in your /public_html/ folder, please.

Also, some features one might use on cpanel will modify your .htaccess file for you. preventing hot linking is one of them as an example. So it is possible that something you did actually did modify your .htaccess file for you. Not saying that is the cause - just that it is possible. Another possibility is that the host changed *something* that is somehow causing the problem. Dunno what - just that ... well heck since there is a problem and it isn't from your files it must be from your server.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:40 pm

One thing you need to know about .htaccess is that it works for the level it is in, and for any sub-folders/directories below its level. So if you have an .htaccess file in your root, its settings will work for all sub-folders/directions below it unless you overwrite with another .htaccess file. So you want to also check what is in the root level of your server outside of the QP folder.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:43 pm

EdB wrote:Well, if it used to work and now doesn't then obviously something changed. Since you did not change your installation it must be that something in your server configuration changed, whether they want to say so or not. BTW upgrading is an unrealistic answer, unless you downgraded right before the error showed up. Does that make sense? In order to solve the problem the change that brought about the problem must be found. Since the change was not your files then the files aren't the problem.

Exactly what I was going to say...... but Ed said it........ better than I would have....... so what he said :)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:54 pm

check your .htaccess file to see if there are any 403 redirects entries.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:01 pm

leeturner wrote:What were the entries that you had to remove ?
L

Lee, I worked at having a firewall using .htaccess. One thing I tried to stop was querry exploits but QP gave permissions errors when trying to use the search engine built into QP. If I tried searching on a term that was in the list below, I got an error. For example, searching for "rain drops" resulted in a 403 error. So I had to remove this section. I think this was also the problem with my file manager. I removed this section and it cured the problem with my search engine and I think also the file manager.

Code: Select all
# QUERY STRING EXPLOITS
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} \.\.\/    [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} boot\.ini [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} tag\=     [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ftp\:     [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} http\:    [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} https\:   [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*(\[|\]|\(|\)|<|>|'|"|;|\?|\*).* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*(%22|%27|%3C|%3E|%5C|%7B|%7C).* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*(%0|%A|%B|%C|%D|%E|%F|127\.0).* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*(globals|encode|config|localhost|loopback).* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*(request|select|insert|union|declare|drop).* [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [F,L]
</IfModule>
Kimberly
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to You can see the bug