Support forums : You can see the bug

Permission Error?

A red message that stops the whole page from loading; a full page, but a message that looks like it came from the server; a red box with red text that we made: All of these are bugs you can see, so report them here. kthxbai :)

Moderator: Dracones

Forum rules
Can you copy/paste the error message, or do a screenshot that shows what is wrong? If not maybe you've got a "you can sense it" bug.

Re: Permission Error?

Postby edoc7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 am

Since I haven't used anything-MS for well over a decade I have no idea where the FP debris came from.

Anyhow, I wiped that .htaccess file clean.

So, I guess the question is why my install of QP is handling that E-mail wrapped in brackets oddly ...

Should it not have flagged it before "Preview" or "Save & Edit" were allowed?

It did so once I removed the preceding text. Had it done so it would have prevented chasing the server-is-the-problem rabbit-trail based on the permission error ... and why that error anyhow?
edoc7

Postby leeturner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 am

Still not sure about this one to be honest. I have just pasted the text "From: Rick Ogletree <mt_2540@yahoo.com>" into a post on my site and clicked the preview button. It did what I would have expected and flag that there is an error because of the angled brackets - it thinks it should be some well formed html. Get rid of the angled brackets and it works as expected.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Does the QP code-check only look a few lines from the top and then stop?

That would explain why it doesn't flag the angled bracket problem.

It seems a two-step process from editor to posting, where the angled brackets that the editor missed then chokes-up the posting stage.
edoc7

Postby EdB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

The entire content is checked against the rules, which you can modify to some degree via checkbox settings. Personally I would have expected <text> to fail because it isn't a valid xhtml tag ... and it isn't closed. BUT you can turn off that validation check for any given group. Also I dunno what happens to rules checking when TinyMCE is used, or if you are using that plugin editor. Anyway assuming that validation check is off, then your files accepted the input and tried to store the change in your database. At that point your server comes into play, and generated the error message from the beginning of this thread.

I think.

Dunno really, but it sounds good :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:02 am

I have turned down the xhtml checking on my site. When I posted the angle-bracketed email on my site, it tossed the "tag", email and brackets, leaving the rest in tact but did not report an error message. As for TinyMCE, it has a built in checker and tries to create valid xhtml output based on TinyMCE rules and will change the content to make it validate.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Random quote to satisfy automated form-checking of this section of the Forum - due to this error message:
"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."
various types

Do you have a paint-by-numbers set of instructions to "turn down the xhtml checking" and to activate TinyMCE?

I can figure that out but newbies probably should do the same in order to avoid the mess we just went through.

WDYT?
edoc7

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm

We should strive to produce valid xhtml in our output. In most cases if one is just writing text within paragraph tags there is no concern. It is when we start adding tags to our document that we may start doing something that is not quite correct; such as the "email" tag that prompted this error report.

XHTML settings can be found in the permissions for each group; this helps to prevent those who are not as aware from doing something that could jeopardise the blog such as including bad javascript code. To make changes go to the group that you wish to change xhtml settings. I go to "Users" and then click on the group name to edit the permissions of the group.

Off topic Looking at the settings I see "Force valid XHTML + strong security". Why are these two together? Could we not turn off checking for valid XHTML and still have strong security? Or could we not check for valid XHTML but turn off strong security?

Now TinyMCE is a WYSIWYG editor. You may not need or want TinyMCE activated; it purpose is to help those who have no idea about HTML to write a html document. One thing about TinyMCE that may frustrate you is the idea that all video is flash (although they may have made some changes there; they are working on incorporating HTML5). The included toolbars for the standard editor may be all you want or need. TinyMCE has two settings, a global on/off setting and a user on/off setting. The global setting is found in the plugin section where you can enable or disable TinyMCE. Then under the user setting for each user you can turn on or off "Use TinyMCE"
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Personally I don't use TinyMCE. I did a lot of work with Ed on TinyMCE and we include the plugin because a lot of people have no idea how to write in HTML and the quick tags just confuse them as well. Most of the blogs I set up are for people that would be lost without their "wordprocessing" style of editor.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:49 pm

The challenge with this user is he's older and tech-challenged.

He likes to cut 'n paste a multi-section E-mail exchange to the blog.

I hope to get time later to dig through that specific blog's settings to see what is on and off.

I need it set so that as soon as he clicks preview or save & edit any bad "code" is flagged in red.

It would be better if that happened as soon as bad "code" was pasted-in but before Publish works.

That it failed to flag the problem brackets at the edit-level is what I am chasing for a solution.
edoc7

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 pm

edoc7 wrote:The challenge with this user is he's older and tech-challenged.

He likes to cut 'n paste a multi-section E-mail exchange to the blog.

I hope to get time later to dig through that specific blog's settings to see what is on and off.

I need it set so that as soon as he clicks preview or save & edit any bad "code" is flagged in red.

It would be better if that happened as soon as bad "code" was pasted-in but before Publish works.

That it failed to flag the problem brackets at the edit-level is what I am chasing for a solution.

Then turning on TinyMCE for this user would probably help the user. After you have enabled (or it may be enabled by default when you install QP) you would go to the particular user's settings and scroll down near the bottom to find TinyMCE on/off checkbox. The directional support is for languages that don't read left to right so you can leave that turned off. TinyMCE previews in real time; but you have to have the TinyMCE content CSS set to reflect the blog's CSS in order for it to show correctly in the TinyMCE editor. I can help you with that or other TinyMCE questions; just send me a PM.

Edit Of course to see exactly how a post is going to appear when published, one still needs to use the PREVIEW button
Kimberly
Dracone

Previous

Return to You can see the bug