Support forums : You can see the bug

Permission Error?

A red message that stops the whole page from loading; a full page, but a message that looks like it came from the server; a red box with red text that we made: All of these are bugs you can see, so report them here. kthxbai :)

Moderator: Dracones

Forum rules
Can you copy/paste the error message, or do a screenshot that shows what is wrong? If not maybe you've got a "you can sense it" bug.

Re: Permission Error?

Postby edoc7 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:59 pm

The server guy says the FP stuff should have no impact and wondered if it as debris from the prior blog.

I have asked if it was OK for me to edit that out or if he needs to do something.

Hopefully someone here can spot the source of the error_log captured problem - if only to eliminate it as a variable related to the permissions problem - or perhaps the cause.
edoc7

Postby Kimberly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am

edoc7 wrote:The server guy says the FP stuff should have no impact and wondered if it as debris from the prior blog.

I have asked if it was OK for me to edit that out or if he needs to do something.

OK, the remark from the server guy is too vague. By stuff, does he mean in the .htaccess file? If you copied that .htaccess file over from a different host, then FrontPage Extensions are not necessarily installed and I am assuming that is what the server guy meant. In that case, go ahead and delete that .htaccess file as it is doing nothing for you.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 am

I copied the .htaccess file to .htaccess_old then edited the .htaccess file to be empty and saved.

I then opened the blog and got the same failure.

I just tried a new post where I manually entered "test" in the Title and the Body and did Save & Edit - OK.

Then I cut and pasted some text from a different E-mail into the Body then a piece of that into the Title, then Save & Edit - OK.

Then I cut & pasted from the older problem E-mail, into the body, and some to the Title, then did Save & Edit - FAIL

I then ran the E-mail text through an editor (Leafpad) and tried again - FAIL

Then I edited the text to 1/3 of the content - OK

Then I returned to the E-mail text and pasted that in - FAIL

Then I cut that text down the same as the editor-filtered version - OK

This is really weird:

Why would a permission error have anything whatsoever to do with the length of the body text?
edoc7

Postby EdB » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:24 am

This isn't a "QP permissions" issue - it is your server that generated those error messages.

Try pasting in other portions of the email and see if it is a specific section, or is actually the amount of text.
EdB
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:30 am

I am thinking it's a server error that is impacting QP.

Then again, it came from a PC running the Microsoft OS, so it's possible there is some bad code (from MS or from a virus) embedded in there somewhere.

I will run some tests of the quantity, and specific segments, of text and report back.

Very weird ...
edoc7

Postby edoc7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:22 am

I tried some different segments from his E-mail text and as I worked down from the top, pausing to Save & Edit with each chunk I cut-away, I suddenly received this error:
Parser error: not well-formed (invalid token) near From: Rick Ogletree <mt_2540 @yahoo.com> Sent: M
Invalid content.

I just deleted the address line and that cleared the error.

Seems odd.

Anyhow, I went back and removed the two instances of that address and everything posted fine.

So, this text is the show-stopper:

Should it be?
edoc7

Postby Kimberly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:28 pm

edoc7 wrote:I tried some different segments from his E-mail text and as I worked down from the top, pausing to Save & Edit with each chunk I cut-away, I suddenly received this error:

So, this text is the show-stopper:

Should it be?

Yes. Look at the angle brackets around the email address. On my installation it just tosses out the <mt_2540@yahoo.com> when I went to preview. On yours it may be trying to do something else which then throws the permission error.

However, I still want to address that FP Ext. thing. Did you copy that .htaccess file from an old installation at another host, or when you first set up your account? FP Extensions .htaccess file don't just appear, they are created when FP Ext are installed. Did you ask your "server guy", "Do I have FrontPage Extension installed on my account?" Some of the "server guys" seem to be a bit thick.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:34 pm

By the way, if you did want to include the angle brackets, you can change them to &lt; for the left angle bracket, and &gt; for the right angle bracket. However, you may want to give some thought to not posting email address on a public blog because "scrappers" crawl the net looking for email address they can use for spamming.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby edoc7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:50 pm

I've instructed him to not include the E-mail address any more.

Server dude says he doesn't know how the FP got there. He said he didn't think FP
was even installed on that server. (They moved stuff around a few months back.)

Did the pre-QP blog app many folks left to come to QP use FP?
edoc7

Postby EdB » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 pm

edoc7 wrote:Did the pre-QP blog app many folks left to come to QP use FP?

Nope. FrontPage is a stand-alone website authoring tool from microsoft. Use it on your desktop then upload to your server, but your server needs crap installed so the crappy over-bloated website FP created will actually work.
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to You can see the bug