Support forums : Quickies

pagespeed_mod-expires branch

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: pagespeed_mod-expires branch

Postby EdB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I have no idea because I don't know what nginx is.

This is a really good issue though. At what point do we say "okay this won't work for you" other than the PHP and MySQL requirements? I mean, there must be a shedload of hosts out there that are good with our package right?

Slightly related: I made a "resizer" plugin that worked fine on my old host but doesn't work on my new host. The core resizing works on the new host, so I have to update the plugin. That kinda makes me think is there an image package that we should "require" peeps to have on their hosting? From a security viewpoint, I know that if the host has SuPHP it means no one ever has to CHMOD a folder to 777 for stuff to work. Should that be an expectation for hosting our app?

Like I said ... brings up a good issue :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 am

I guess so long as we don't put anything in the .htaccess file that is required to run the app (just caching etc) then I would hope that whatever we put in could be made to happen in nginx by someone who knows what they are doing in that area.

Having QP running on as many platforms as possible is great but given the number of people playing here I think LAMP/WAMP is a good place to focus on.

Something we should keep an eye on though when adding new features and making changes
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Nginx (Pronounced as Engine X) is a webserver that is finding use by some major players because of its speed; Hulu uses it for serving up their content and some of the big music sites as well. With Nginx, a couple of things, one, PHP does not run as a webserver mod; two, Nginx does not use .htaccess files. rewrite rules are usually stored in a rewrite config file and loaded into Ngnix server config file. Since I have access to a dedicated server that is using Nginx, I am going to play with this. While the installation of QP will still be the same and install in the normal way, I can write a tutorial to show how to set up QP on an Nginx server; how to modify the .htaccess to work under Nginx. We don't have to actually change anything in the scripts on this.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Sounds like it could be a plugin, or maybe even a core-level option. I wonder if we can detect that the server is nginx? If we can then we can maybe have a nginx.sample.php file that gets written only if need be?

That'd be what I'd do for a plugin - take a sample and convert it dynamically if need be. Although to be honest it seems like it should be there and done during installation. Then the plugin could be uninstalled and deleted.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 pm

When I was doing research in servers, it was mentioned that one should not send the server id out; that it can be a possible security issue to let it be known which webserver one was running. I guess there is merit in that since once you know the server, you can then look at exploits known for that server.
Kimberly
Dracone

Previous

Return to Quickies