Support forums : Quickies

thoughts during installation without sample posts

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

thoughts during installation without sample posts

Postby EdB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Figured I hardly ever do this and each time I do I come across stuff that "install without" doesn't do right IMHO.

1) it looks like it tried to install all the plugins, but I deleted out the ones this person doesn't need. Deleted before uploading, so that probably means I have errors on my plugins page. My solution would be to not install plugins if we're doing a naked installation. Yep: chock full of plugins that were installed but don't exist. Even if someone doesn't delete them, they asked for no samples ... and don't have a chance to tell us what to do with plugins.

2) Templates worked okay, but probably only because I didn't rename evopress prior to uploading this person's files. My guess is that it tried to install all of them but I see no problem so it's okay. I guess. Actually, maybe it shouldn't do anything with templates since it didn't create a blog for me?

3) All four default users are present. I would say let's only have ID#1 with a naked installation.

Off topic 3.5) Deleting out the other 3 users reminds me that we only see groups who have members and the first empty group. Methinks we should see all groups even if they are empty?

Not sure if I should just rebuild everything, or backup the database from localhost then upload it to the server?

Anyway part of me reads unchecking "install sample stuff" as "give me a naked installation", but maybe we need some levels there?

Gimme samples = 4 users, 4 blogs, plugins, templates, posts & comments like now.
Gimme basics = 1 user, 1 blog, 1 template (first found?), some very basic plugins installed.
I want naked = 1 user, no blogs, no templates, no plugins.
EdB
Dracone

Re: thoughts during installation without sample posts

Postby Kimberly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

The first time I installed that other app and installed samples, as soon as I got it up and running I wish I had not.

I think being able to upload an install without all the plugins and templates would be nice. When I install for a user that is going to get a custom template, I uninstall the included templates just so there is no problems later with the user switching to a template and then complaining because his titles are huge and such. I want to give the option to change templates, but to ones that will fit with the site. The same is true for the plugins. If a user is not going to need to insert code into an article, they don't need the plugin for that. The same with BB code, they won't be using it so to help keep confusion down, such things go out.

So for those who will set up for other uses, not having everything install helps to shorten the process of setting it up for the user.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Gotta admit my most frequent action after uploading and installing is "delete template, delete plugin, delete default bloody widgets" ( the latter is partially taken care of by the fact that templates can now suggest widgets ) from the database, the files don't even get uploaded.

Would be interesting to list/know what (core) plugins most of us use as default.

My list is :
  1. code highlighter ( if it's an install for me )
  2. Auto P ( if it's an install for others)
  3. TinyMCE ( if it's an install for others)
  4. Video plugin ( if it's an install for others)
  5. Smilies ( if it's an install for others ... *sometimes* if it's an install for me )

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

ALMOST ALWAYS
archives
auto-p
autolinks
basic_antispam
calendar
captcha-img (unless it is not going to allow interaction)
comment_gravatars (assuming commenting is allowed but sometimes no depending)
commenttags (plus edit the file that enables links, but only if it will be a commentable install)
ping_pingomatic
quicktags (unless I know they can't handle seeing code-ish stuff)
smilies
twitter
video

ALMOST NEVER
adsense
bb code
code_highlight (except for me but hardly ever use anymore)
generic_ping
gm_code
texturize
tinymce (unless the person clearly can't handle seeing code-stuffs)
turingtest (unless the person is totally spam-scared)
whos_online (not a bad plugin but it needs serious grownup help)
wikilinks
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Damn, yer a plugin whore!

We live and learn ;)

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:46 pm

ALMOST NEVER
adsense
bb code
calendar
gm_code
texturize
tinymce
whos_online
wikilinks
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:49 pm

There's a pattern emerging ... lots of these "defaults" are "because the other app did " ( note : I *really* don't think code plugin should be part of default install ... I'd be amazed if 0.1% of evo users use it, although our %age use is a tad higher due to smaller userbase ATM )

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Did I fail to mention custom plugins for specific installations? Mostly me cuz yeah I'm into it. Automatic image resizing is one I did for me that I'll totally share after core can make "code-NN" and "title (NN)" for installations beyond the first. One I have an eye on doing will pair attached images side-by-side somehow, unless I can convince core to float the alphabetically last one to the left and the alphabetically first one to the right, with captions, and with post text underneath. Before/After :) Then my stupid little "it makes fake interstate signs" thing.

Almost every installation gets some plugin work, and almost every plugin gets me more ideas for the core :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Yabs wrote:There's a pattern emerging ... lots of these "defaults" are "because the other app did " ( note : I *really* don't think code plugin should be part of default install ... I'd be amazed if 0.1% of evo users use it, although our %age use is a tad higher due to smaller userbase ATM )

I agree about the code plugin. Makes sense that we would all use it because we all hack the core but like you say a small % of real users would need it.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:54 pm

re the defaults: currently everything is on and all templates are installed. When we hear a few more "I use these" we'll pretty much have the list of what to not install prior to next release.

Recall we turned on everything so we didn't create bugs that no one saw until someone installed something and said "oopsie"?
EdB
Dracone

Next

Return to Quickies