Support forums : Quickies

thoughts during installation without sample posts

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: thoughts during installation without sample posts

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 pm

That is correct. One template, no plugins, select "no sample posts" = success :)

When doing "with sample" installations the core says "if I have this file in qp_config use it else use the canned one in qp_install". The 4 files cover blogs, items, users, and widgets. I've also made an extractor plugin that comes pretty close to pulling out the files after you tinker up an installation. I used it to backup installations after showing clients what the thing would look like :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 pm

That all sounds pretty awesome actually. Very flexible install and very cool for the web dev implementing sites on QP
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

leeturner wrote:... the web dev implementing sites on QP

That really is my idea of target audience. The direct user is of course expected, but the developer who does it for other people is who we all are :) So I figured if I make it so it is good for me to do installs AND good for the people I'm installing for they'll all love me and refer me to their web-needy friends :)

I'll give some example files at some point because it is kinda like a hidden easter basket chock full of easter eggs :D
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 am

How much work would it be to have a list of core plug-ins; and the person installing the app can choose which of those core plug-ins get installed at installation time?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:53 am

EdB wrote:
leeturner wrote:... the web dev implementing sites on QP

That really is my idea of target audience. The direct user is of course expected, but the developer who does it for other people is who we all are :) So I figured if I make it so it is good for me to do installs AND good for the people I'm installing for they'll all love me and refer me to their web-needy friends :)

Exactly, I have done so for two; although the last one I am going to move to the new core when it is ready for such. He has yet to start using the site.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 am

Kimberly wrote:How much work would it be to have a list of core plug-ins; and the person installing the app can choose which of those core plug-ins get installed at installation time?

Would that be more for the end user installing QP ? I have to say when I am doing an install I am moving files around anyway so it is much easier to remove the plugins entirely than to keep them there and select from a list.

I don't think it is any secret on these forums that I like to keep the whole thing lean ;)
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 am

you'll be happy to know almost all the rarely-used files at root level won't be in monster when it's done :)

contact, no_template, canned stubs if they're even in there, blah blah blah - I still have them so I keep them updated, but they don't need to be in the package since they are very rarely used. For the record, my "master" on this computer has at least 60 templates and maybe 25 plugins, so when I do stuff I see how it affects TONS of potential situations. All the shit gets updated even though most of it will never be part of this product. Heck most of it never got into QP5's public life ... but all of it got used somewhere by someone :)

Yeah lean is the way to go :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 am

EdB wrote:you'll be happy to know almost all the rarely-used files at root level won't be in monster when it's done :)

** Bows down in total respect !!! **
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Kimberly wrote:How much work would it be to have a list of core plug-ins; and the person installing the app can choose which of those core plug-ins get installed at installation time?

Even better in monster: just delete the plugins you don't want and add any that you do want - if the plugin is in the folder when you run the installer, it'll get installed. If not it won't :)

Same with templates, although you gotta be careful that there are at least 4 IF you install sample contents. I'm pretty sure monster will use the first 4 it finds.

Even betterer, you can write your own custom installer with 4 files and "install" with 10 blogs that have their own blog settings (cats and templates and stuff) and 3 users with their own permissions across the blogs. Way cool eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 pm

EdB wrote:

Even better in monster: just delete the plugins you don't want and add any that you do want - if the plugin is in the folder when you run the installer, it'll get installed. If not it won't :)

Same with templates, although you gotta be careful that there are at least 4 IF you install sample contents. I'm pretty sure monster will use the first 4 it finds.

Even betterer, you can write your own custom installer with 4 files and "install" with 10 blogs that have their own blog settings (cats and templates and stuff) and 3 users with their own permissions across the blogs. Way cool eh?

Yeah, way cool :D
Kimberly
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Quickies