Support forums : Quickies

thoughts during installation without sample posts

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: thoughts during installation without sample posts

Postby Yabs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Didn't you start this thread with "oopsie" ? ;)

Like I said in t'other thread, it's good to see that we're now at the point where this kinda stuff matters ... we've spent a loooooooong time going backwards :D

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

I don't want to go to far off topic here but one of the first things I always do on a new install is to delete:

a_notemplate.php
a_stub.php
contact.php
multiblogs.php
sitemap_a.php
sitemap_blogs.php
summary.php

My preference for these files is that they get a look and feel update (which I have started somewhere on my machine) and they are deleted from the distribution and moved to an 'advanced integration' part of the codex.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:03 pm

You upload those? damn

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm

a_ and a_ are both I'm pretty sure totally obsolete. The others do need serious help though. The 2 sitemap things are I don't even have a clue anymore. Those were to feed to The Google when google wouldn't take ?foo=bar in a sitemap URL I think so maybe they're also probably obsolete. But the others are cool but neglected and somewhat seriously advanced. but cool.

I upload 'em and usually forget to delete 'em. doh!
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

EdB wrote:a_ and a_ are both I'm pretty sure totally obsolete.

The a_notemplate might be useful although there is a bug in specifying a blog that is the default on index.php.

EdB wrote: Those were to feed to The Google when google wouldn't take ?foo=bar in a sitemap URL I think so maybe they're also probably obsolete.

This is true. These can be deleted me thinks.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 am

Plug-ins for me:
archives
auto-p
basic_antispam
ping_pingomatic
quicktags (but rarely use it)
turingtest (because it works; for captcha to work, it has to be impossible to read)

Templates for me:
I always do a custom template for my sites.

For others it depends, so far always TinyMCE or they would not be able to write a post. Since I am building a site for them, I do a custom template so they have a unique look to their site.

I think that is it, been busy today and just saw this discussion going on.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Digging up this one because I have a branch that is pretty much good-to-go concerning the "install without samples" angle ... and I'm trying to not let shit languish in "development" for ages on end. Here's where I went with it: It installs 1 user, 1 blog, 1 group, 1 template, no sample posts, and I'm pretty sure it installs 1 category but it might not.

The default plugin angle was already sort of addressed with the "install plugins that exist" branch, but not really. So I need to check this branch and see that it installs no plugins even if they exist. The idea being totally bare-bones even if everything got uploaded.

It also has sample images which makes sense but I do need to check that they are not attached to an item in the database. In a perfect world the installer would delete them from the database and the media folder(s) but I didn't even try it and don't know if we can make that happen. Probably can.

Anything else for "upload everything but install without samples"?

Edit also, gonna delete then rebuild the branch so's to make sure I resolved installer file conflicts correctly and actually hit all the items on the short list of what it does
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 pm

• change "view or log in" message seen after installation to not show "view blog" if you have nothing to view
  • change default group values if no samples installed because we won't have a 4th group to stick registrants into
  • install only one template which we will need for the only blog we create
  • create only one group for our only user
  • create only one user - "admin" - so they can log in when we're done
  • do not install any plugins if we're not installing samples
Okay not bad. It does NOT install a sample blog, and therefore of course does not create a first category. I'm thinking that is a mistake because "bare bones" to me implies ready to use. So I would expect a blog and a category. Because the items are not installed that means files are not attached to items. Yay! It does not attempt to delete out the media we supply with an installation, which means it has media/blogs/id_1 present.

Edit Update: it now creates one blog with one cat, but does not put any widgets in that blog. Dunno where to go with it. Either take out the blog & cat, or put some really simple widgets in, or put in the default widgets that actually work in blog #1 if you do the "include samples" thing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 am

I think a lot of this has already been covered, but for sure https://code.launchpad.net/~edb/quam-plures/qp5_monster goes after TONS of stuff mentioned here. In fact, the monster branch does some awesome installation stuff. Like, all plugins and templates that exist in the folders get installed - not just a "core" list. Also, you can add some new files to the config folder and get customized blogs and contents upon installation. So a naked install will be what we want (already exists), a customized set of plugins and templates will work like we'd want, and a completely fleshed out installation with custom templates and content and plugins will also install the way one would like it to :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 am

That sounds awesome. When you say a naked install would that work if I also wanted an install with just one template and no plugins ? Would all I have to do is get rid of everything out of the plugin folder and leave just the one template I wanted in the template folder?
leeturner
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Quickies