Support forums : Quickies

thoughts during installation without sample posts

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: thoughts during installation without sample posts

Postby EdB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 pm

I really need to give an example of this 4-file trick in action.

Check out monster's qp_install folder and you'll probably be able to guess which 4 they are. The installation process says "if it is in qp_config then use it else use it from qp_install", so writing your own will never be trashed by an upgrade :)

I will make available to y'all my extractomatic plugin that writes the 4 files for ya. Then you could tweak an installation, extract it, and rebuild it somewhere else later. It has flaws, but it gets pretty damned close to perfectly duplicating what you dialed in :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 am

So this is really a qp export and import option?
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 am

Very VERY limited, but kinda :) It exports QP(5 aka monster) in such a way that it can be used to install it somewhere else, but not in another blog engine.

So like you create a few blogs and categories and posts and pages and pick widgets then change stuff and want the blog order different and delete some cats and change all your widgets and delete some posts in favor of new ones and on and on and on. And finally the client is happy and so are you, so you extract everything and start over. Now all the blogs will be numbered in the order they get shown, all the cats will be numbered in the order they exist now (no numbering holes), same with items and templates and so forth. The actual product is basically reset to a nice shiny "new" look instead of actually having a history that jumbles the back end.

For me I was building for clients in a place unavailable to the public in general. For example mydomain.com/lees_prototype or some such. Now obviously you want that to be at leesdomain.com so I extract and rebuild. All internally created links (like media paths and such) are pointing to the new version of $baseurl instead of manually digging that crap out. All kinds of little goodies that only a website creator using QP would find adorable :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 am

Sounds awesome.

Could it also be configured with a cron to provide a backup of the site on a regular basis. I like the idea that it produces text files which can be kept in source control.

Most backup solutions seem to export the database etc but this seems like it pretty much gives you what you would want anyway?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 am

cron as we do it totally sucks. somewhere I've a post about how friggin bad it is, but that is totally unrelated to your question.

Yes, it could. Hadn't thought of it because cron as we do it totally sucks, but yeah all it needs is hooks in the plugin to interact with our totally shitty and almost useless cron handler, which totally sucks and needs serious overhaul ... but yeah it could. A daily backup could easily be done behind the scenes. Oh and the files are names something like "_real_name.datestamp.php" so you could recall a specific date if you wanted to :)

Off topic cron in our app totally sucks, in case I hadn't mentioned that ;)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 pm

I am not sure if you have looked in this area but do you know if our cron system is any good ;)
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 pm

I never really looked at the cron on QP. With the "app" I have been working with Cron jobs for various jobs are stored in the database; you set up a cron job on the server that hits a cron.php script on the site that in turns runs the various cron jobs in the database based on settings for the cron job in the database.

So, in the database I may have a cron job to send me a periodic report at midnight for the week. Another cron job in the database might send out any messages to members with a limit that x number of emails are sent per hour in order to not flood the email server. The cron job on the server is set to run every xx minutes per day.
Kimberly
Dracone

Previous

Return to Quickies