Support forums : Quickies

message when empty idea

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

message when empty idea

Postby EdB » Mon May 20, 2013 7:21 pm

right now it's a generic per-template message. wouldn't it be whiz-bang cool if we could make a blog post that was for non-members only? So message-if-empty looks for that post and if not found then gives a canned per-template message?
EdB
Dracone

Re: message when empty idea

Postby Kimberly » Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I am not sure I follow on this. Can you expand a bit?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon May 27, 2013 4:19 am

Sure. In each template there is a bit for "message_if_empty" referring to the list of posts. The default is something like "sorry there is nothing to display". No matter how many blogs you use the same template on, the "empty message" is always the same. BTW the mainlist is empty if everything is protected, which is basically the site I'm on now.

Suppose we had a post type called "empty message". IF mainlist has nothing to show someone then it checks to see if that blog has a "empty message" post and uses it, but if not then core defaults to the simple sentence in the template. That way each blog could say a more focused message about what type of content should be there or why there is no content or whatever.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm

That is a good idea. This would mean you could add any content that a post can handle; including code if one wishes. This would open up all kinds of possibilities for the if empty thing.
Kimberly
Dracone

Return to Quickies