Support forums : Quickies

COPPA laws

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

COPPA laws

Postby EdB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 am

We don't have a way to deal with them. I can put a field on the registration form and see what the answer was, but all I can do is allow registration or block it via RegisterFormSent. I can then cancel/rollback the registration with AppendUserRegistrTransact, but I can't MODIFY the registration. I can't for example store the user in an alternate group for minors and send them an alternate email that explains how parental consent needs to be gotten. Big hole for what I'm doing right now :(

Off topic And WTF is the deal with "AppendUserRegistrTransact" as a hook name? I have ONE plugin that uses it - I asked for first and last name during registration so I use this hook to put it into the Users table after the user has been created, but OMG can the name be any worse? And by the way this is a "trigger_event_first_false" hook, which means another plugin saying NO after user creation stops all other plugins from responding to the hook and pulls the user out of the database.

Anyway it's something to think about. I'd like to not send the activation email to the minor, but I don't have that option. For now all I can do is use AppendUserRegistrTransact to move them to a "holding" group and send a second email. If they activate they are still in the holding group, so I can deny stuff based on that.
EdB
Dracone

Re: COPPA laws

Postby Kimberly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:43 am

Who Must Comply

If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

There is where I don't worry about COPPA; since the sites I operate are not for children, I don't need to worry about COPPA. The registration form on my social site has an age field, plus the ToU (Terms of Use) state the site is for adults 18 or over. Yes, a minor can lie but unless COPPA as a provision that forces me to verify; does it? that the person is not lying to me, then if they lie they lie.

Now, since we are providing software that might be used for general audience or targeted to children websites, we could offer something to the web developer that is going to use the software to aid in this. Any idea what or how the other applications handle this? Say WP or B2? If our targeted audience of Quam Plures is web developers, then this might be left as a worry for the web developer that uses Quam Plures.
Kimberly
Dracone

Re: COPPA laws

Postby EdB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:45 am

valid points, but I kinda wanna focus on the last real quick.

I like the idea of focusing on developers :) the thing is that means the end users are ... anybody and everybody.

Anyway it's kinda more than just COPPA. Our registration process is a completely straight line with very little "flex" to it. Especially as regards the message sent. Maybe we can think about hookage that lets a plugin tweak or completely change the email sent out?

BTW not really kid-focused either but tryin' to cover my bases ya know? This time it's my name on the domain ...
EdB
Dracone

Return to Quickies