Support forums : Quickies

revisiting the "multiple tweets" idea

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

revisiting the "multiple tweets" idea

Postby EdB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 pm

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=644 is an old thread that basically says we should be able to tweet more than just the author's account. Makes sense, but the way I kept at it for so long was fundamentally flawed for some reason. Did a bunch of hoop-jumping and got nowhere :( Anyway the other day that branch finally had way too many conflicts that I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing and therefore what the conflict resolution should have been, so I gave up. Until just now when I think I figured out something really really simple and smart:

Multiple Installations of the twitter plugin (up to 3). The first installation could be for authors or blogs or the whole QP to do tweets. The second and third look to see what the first (and second) is/are doing, and allow for whatever choices are remaining. (not sure if we can do that but it'll be slick if we can.) Then after each new post QP runs through the plugins, oblivious to the fact that it is tweeting multiple times. Twitter doesn't care either because, well, because twitter loves us and wants us to be happy.

This is a "note to self" type of thing :)
EdB
Dracone

Re: revisiting the "multiple tweets" idea

Postby Kimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 pm

I think my take on it was that on a mult-blog, mult-user site; tweeter has to be multi-blog, mult-user. If there are twenty users with their own tweeter account, then each of those users may want to tweet to their followers when they post; even if they are all posting to the same blog. Then at the same time; one may have a "news" site with fifteen journalists; so you may be wanting to tweet to the site's tweeter account. Each of the journalist may have accounts with followers interested when they write; so the tweet should be sent to that journalists followers as well as the site's tweeter account.

So each user should have a place to enter their tweeter account info. Then when a post is submitted for publishing, it checks to see if the author has set up a tweeter account and if so, tweet to that account. If there is a site account, then tweet to that account.

Now each blog is like a separate site; so each blog may have a different tweeter account as well.

Off topic Do we still call them blogs? Sites may be a better term since we are moving into a more robust app than just blogging
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:07 pm

That's pretty much what Yabs wanted. When we post something out on the QP main site, the author AND the blog AND the installation itself should be able to tweet. I tried to do it as one plugin handling all three possible tweets (for the same exact item) but could not get it done. My AHA moment here is to make it be the same plugin installed 3 times.

When this gets done the installation owner will decide if he/she even wants that ability. If so he/she installs the plugin a 2nd and maybe 3rd time. The first would be for authors ... or maybe for each blog ... or maybe for the entire installation. The 2nd and 3rd would be for whatever isn't already tweeting.

This way the installation owner gets to say how the domain will act with regards to tweeting - not us :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:48 pm

EdB wrote:This way the installation owner gets to say how the domain will act with regards to tweeting - not us :)

Yes.

OK, so you are thinking a tweeter plugin for the site; a tweeter plugin for authors, and then a tweeter plugin for whatever.

tweeter plugin for site handles each blog/site/whatever we call them. The author plugin then handles the ones for authors. So when we build the user info page; do we check to see if the author plugin has been installed and then if yes, we include a place for the authors tweeter/twitter; I know it is one or the other I think, info and if not no? After all, they can always manually tweet.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

It would be the same plugin - upload once, install up to 3 times. Each time you install it you get to pick which level the tweet is coming from: author, blog, or installation.

Most complicated scenario is like this: I am a blogger on one of your domains with permission to post in only one blog. You have the plugin installed three times. I post something. It tweets to my twitter account, the blog's twitter account, and your installation's twitter account. Same post, same tweet, three places on twitter. The traffic rush would crush a mortal server but you're not scared cuz you're secretly hosting on North Korea's Missile Launch Controller server and are sure it can handle it :)
EdB
Dracone

Return to Quickies