Support forums : Quickies

attachments and the edit page

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: attachments and the edit page

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:25 am

Um... right now without any changes you can create a post from the file manager. Select images with the checkbox, then in the dropdown box pick either "create one post will all images" or "create one post per image" and hit the go button. I forget where you end up - either the new post in edit mode, or possibly the post list page under Items. Might be it changes based on how many posts you just created?

Anyway if you upload a bunch to a new folder you can click the "check all the boxes" link and create a post for each image. They come up in draft mode and use the default category, so you can either 'publish now' or edit to change cats / add tags / add actual post text then publish now.

This is why I try to encourage users to take the time during upload to add in the title and alt text and especially caption/description that they want. The title on the image becomes the post title so it kinda matters is the thing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 am

EdB wrote:Um... right now without any changes you can create a post from the file manager. Select images with the checkbox, then in the dropdown box pick either "create one post will all images" or "create one post per image" and hit the go button. I forget where you end up - either the new post in edit mode, or possibly the post list page under Items. Might be it changes based on how many posts you just created?

Anyway if you upload a bunch to a new folder you can click the "check all the boxes" link and create a post for each image. They come up in draft mode and use the default category, so you can either 'publish now' or edit to change cats / add tags / add actual post text then publish now.

This is why I try to encourage users to take the time during upload to add in the title and alt text and especially caption/description that they want. The title on the image becomes the post title so it kinda matters is the thing.

OK, let me try this again because I did not think it happened that way. Will report back.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04 am

Yes, you are correct. I tried that earlier and it did not work and I don't know why. I have not worked this way before but I have a client that will be working this way so I have to make sure of the steps. I probably did something wrong the first time.

Why don't we have a "attached" option in the drop down list for the file-manager in a pop-up instead of that little link icon? That might help people with attaching instead of inserting in-line when clicking on the files button on the editor.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Bit late to this one. I don't really use the attached images thing to be honest. Maybe I should play with it a little more to see what it is all about :)

I don't mind having something there to visually highlight that images are attached so long as it isn't there when there are no images attached (for people like me who don't use it - yet)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

What we are trying to do is to make it "damn idiot proof" :lol:
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Kimberly wrote:What we are trying to do is to make it "damn idiot proof" :lol:

Yup :)

I don't care if your average idiot out there can make sense out of everything after they install it themselves, but when my clients tell me shit doesn't make sense then I start to care more. So - to me - even if it seems complicated as long as a reasonable explanation makes people "get it" then yay.

Hey I just thought of something that takes into account Lee's concern.

So the space is between any toolbars above the post textarea and the actual textarea. The space would flex with the blue arrow for the text area. If there are no attached images then the space is as-is, meaning nothing is there. If we have images then we do a thumbnail that is floated left with the caption alongside it. We repeat the next beneath the first and so on.

Now if someone has 8 images attached they'll have to scroll on the editor but guess what: you have 8 friggin images attached so DUH! OTOH if you only have 2 (before and after seems like such a common situation) then you see both of those AND their captions, and you get to type in whatever else you need.

Seem like a plan?
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Just thinking out load. Could this be a plugin that makes use of the toolbar hooks to display the visual notification of attached images ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:26 pm

I guess it could but to me it wouldn't make sense given that the whole idea of attaching files is core.

By the time we are in the editor we already have all the info we need to do it. Heck we do the thumbnails right below the textarea. Plus we're in admin, so from an "overhead" perspective we're barely denting the load admin already puts on a server. Just showing the stuff in a friendlier fashion.

Heck just now thought of this: the "these files are attached" block can be split in half - images above and non-images below. Then when there are no files attached the upper one vanishes and the lower one lets you start attaching.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 pm

@Ed Did you get any feedback on your client to why they did not think the images were attached? I am wondering if it is the preview thing that is tricking them into thinking there was no attachments.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:02 am

Preview was part of it ... and I personally suspect a big part of it. When I scrolled the edit page down and showed her "this tells you it is attached and will show up" her response was ' ... ooohhhh ... ' - implying that was not exactly great but at least she could tell it was attached. But she previewed and figured she did something wrong so she also inlined the image.

Ultimately I really want to have preview show attached images, but like I said above since the item # is 0 the "go get attachments" routine freaks out. I think it'll take more effort to make that happen than just displaying the fact of attachment in a different place, but when I get to working on this I'll keep in mind how bad it is that preview is id#0.

I'm kinda thinking if we can find a good solution to that problem for this specific issue then we can also "fix" preview on a whole bunch of other issues. Like for example it might be as simple as when we set $is_preview (or something like that) to TRUE we also set $preview_id to whatever ID is in the editor. $preview_id would default to 0 which would apply when creating an item, but that doesn't apply when we're talking about attachments because the item must be saved before we can attach to it.

Which IMHO is another limiter: we should be able to attach before creation. Possibly the "create post(s) from these images" routine could help us out in that regard, though I suspect it creates an item then attaches the image. Meaning no nice cheats already available.
EdB
Dracone

Previous

Return to Quickies