Support forums : Quickies

attachments and the edit page

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

attachments and the edit page

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:54 am

I ran into a client who was attaching AND inserting images because she didn't see it when it was attached. I'm not so sure there is anything to be done about that ... except for maybe moving the "attach images" section up to between the title and the post textarea. Toolbars have to go somewhere of course, so I would keep them directly above the post textarea. The idea being at least you would see the fact that there are attachments in the same relative location you would see them on your website.

Marginally related, I still want to find a good way to let you "inline attach" so we could get the benefit of automatic resizing and allow for text above the attached images.

hmmm... maybe since not all attachments are images we could put thumbnails above the toolbar above the post textarea just to show kinda what the post will be like. Not stacked like the post will do, but at least a quick visual would reveal that images are attached. The actual attachment box would then stay where it is.

Thoughts?
EdB
Dracone

Re: attachments and the edit page

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:22 am

I am working on a site for a client where images will be uploaded through a front-end or emailed to the server, dropping them into folders by month-year; that is finished except I am having permission errors running the email thingy cron job. Anyway, the client will then log into the backend, pick an image and create a post. What you just described about your client is what I am afraid about my client. I was actually thinking about hacking the code out so they could only do it one way but that is not the way to create solutions.

As I write this comment I decided to play a bit with creating a post with an attachment. I created a post, give it a title and hit saved I then attached an image to the post. When I hit preview, I don't see the image I attached. That could be a place where a user would get confused and insert an image inline. I have never worked with attaching images before; so this is the first time I have witness this.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 am

EdB wrote:hmmm... maybe since not all attachments are images we could put thumbnails above the toolbar above the post textarea just to show kinda what the post will be like. Not stacked like the post will do, but at least a quick visual would reveal that images are attached. The actual attachment box would then stay where it is.

Thoughts?

Better would be to place them in the editor text area with a division below; one would need to only be able to edit the post in the actual editor window, some way, not actually in the text area but made to look as if it is in the text area so it can simulate how the post would appear and end confusion.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 am

Kimberly wrote:...
As I write this comment I decided to play a bit with creating a post with an attachment. I created a post, give it a title and hit saved I then attached an image to the post. When I hit preview, I don't see the image I attached. That could be a place where a user would get confused and insert an image inline. I have never worked with attaching images before; so this is the first time I have witness this.

Yeah that is probably part of it. THAT comes from how the post ID is zero in preview and images are found by the post's ID number. So that means nothing shows up because nothing is attached to item zero.

Seems to me we could work on that too. Something like "if you are previewing then you *might* have an item ID in the editor so check it out and look for attachments for that item number". Never actually went after code for it, but quite a few plugins say "if this is a preview then give up", so that much of it is doable.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:53 am

Better would be to place them in the editor text area with a division below; one would need to only be able to edit the post in the actual editor window, some way, not actually in the text area but made to look as if it is in the text area so it can simulate how the post would appear and end confusion.

hmmm... I was thinking if we stack them the way they will appear later we could have the actual textarea way down low on the screen. A strip of thumbnails wouldn't take up too much height is my angle.

Suppose we put a little bar (bordered div) between the toolbars and the textarea that said something like "attached: file_name.ext"? That way we don't use up too much height for each image and still show that it is attached and is going to stack out in public.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 am

EdB wrote:

Yeah that is probably part of it. THAT comes from how the post ID is zero in preview and images are found by the post's ID number. So that means nothing shows up because nothing is attached to item zero.

Seems to me we could work on that too. Something like "if you are previewing then you *might* have an item ID in the editor so check it out and look for attachments for that item number". Never actually went after code for it, but quite a few plugins say "if this is a preview then give up", so that much of it is doable.

I see; the preview is not allowing for an item ID because it does not apply unless one has saved the post; we can start writing without saving and do a preview and an ID does not apply in that case. How does the preview render a preview since it is not based on actually database content?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:27 am

How about a div showing the thumnail of the attached images in the order they will appear above the textarea horrizontally with a scrollbar that will appear if the number exceeds the width of the textarea (which of course will increase in width if the textarea is sent full width with the little arrow thingy. This would give a visual clue when the file names are just gobbledygook. Could this be interactive if we change the order of the attachments? Can the order of attachments be changed?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 am

The answer to rearranging attachments seem to be no by just checking. It would be nice to have a bit of jQuery so one could grab an attachment and move it up or down in the list :D and thus rearrange the position of the attachment in the post.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 am

Kimberly wrote:The answer to rearranging attachments seem to be no by just checking. It would be nice to have a bit of jQuery so one could grab an attachment and move it up or down in the list :D and thus rearrange the position of the attachment in the post.

Yes it would!

What else would be nice is "inline attachments". Briefly, I thought if each attachment had a number associated with it then someone could put <!--attach_inline:1--> and the top attachment would go there instead of clumped together on top. Have them default to id#0 which would mean go above all existing text.

I like the automagic resizing, but I never did like how they always go on top ... and how you just have to know you attached an image.

Off topic Where are you at on a FM inside the write page?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:57 am

This sorts of ties in with the discussion. I noticed that we are not consistent with the file manager in a pop-up (or embedded) and with the regular file manager. The list of options for what to do with images are not consistent. However, the main reason I mention that is that we can not just go to the file manager and select from the list of options, make post and attach image. To attach an image you have to create the post, save it out, then click on the attachment link which brings up a file manager with the link icon. We should be able to have an option like I stated in the file manager that would automate things; it would create the post, save it out, and attach the image and then take one to the editor.

Off topic I finished the embedded file manager some time ago and I am using it on a daily basis when I create posts; it is part of my QP installation. It is a dirty hack though, I hacked the core instead of doing it properly; installing a hook in the write form and adding it through a plugin. The slide down for the file manager is slow compare to the other sections in the write form when you first open the write form and I think this is because I have a large number of files in the root folder for the blog files. I now create folders and try to organise instead of just dumping them all in the media folder root for the blog
Kimberly
Dracone

Next

Return to Quickies