Support forums : Quickies

Blog By Email

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Blog By Email

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:19 pm

I have never used this feature but with the client wanting non-users to be able to email photos to the site's media folder, I took a look at the blog by email feature. It currently only allows one to blog by email to the default blog and not to the blog by choice; unless I am missing something. So this means that on a multi-user, multi-blog QP site we don't allow each users to be able to blog by email to their blog; again unless I am missing something.

I would think that the way blog by email should work is that if a user has blog by email permissions, then that user can blog to each of the blogs they have permissions to blog on.
Kimberly
Dracone

Re: Blog By Email

Postby leeturner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:24 pm

I have never really played in the area so would need to open her up and take a look.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:48 am

Back when b2evo was still cool I figured out and used the blog-by-email thing and basically accepted it's limitations.

Given the exact current thing we have, we should be able to make it, at the very minimum, allow each blog to have BBY on or off, and allow each blogger to select the cat (and therefore blog) they will BBY into. To be able to do it from the actual email would mean another &&special_something&& to tell core which blog this email is going into. Could be done I guess, but then peeps gotta always remember to add the "coded" bits to make it work correctly. IF we went to "each blog on/off and each blogger picks a cat" then all it takes is the email as it stands now.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 am

I am just running out the door so haven't checked but are the current blog by email settings global or per blog ? If they were per blog then things might be easier as each blog owner could set up different email accounts to mail to ?
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 am

global
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Maybe making them per blog would be a good idea ?
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:27 pm

If I understand it, first the subject of the email must contain a prefix set up by the user. as in blog. Then in the body of the email one puts in the username:password for the blog. The getmail.php will take the subject of the email as the subject of the blog post. The category can be overridden maybe, but not sure, but indications are that blog by email goes to the default blog so I am not sure if choosing a different category ID (if that exists in the getmail.php) will send it to a different blog or merely just cause it to go to the first category for the default blog.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:17 am

Can one send HTML markup by email to the blog and have it presented correctly? Maybe I should play with this some and see how it would handle HTML markup sent in as text to the blog by email.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:52 am

Dunno but if not it is probably a reasonably easy fix. It is possible there might be an issue going from email to the blog engine (meaning markup intended won't come through properly), so what we do is make BbE use one of the markup plugins. BB code? That way nothing tween sending and receiving will mistake it for html markup.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 am

I vaguely remember somewhere someone saying that HTML wasn't supported. That might have been in the evo forums but still applies I guess.

Not tested it though.
leeturner
Dracone

Return to Quickies