Support forums : Quickies

Twitter Bootstrap

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Twitter Bootstrap

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Kimberly wrote:Bootstrap is probably the more robust of the two. I have not spent any time looking at html5 templates; the term still does not make a lot of sense to me; HTML is suppose to be markup, CSS is suppose to be the template engine. Leave HTML to html, CSS to css.

html5 is still just html ... only a little different. BIGGEST difference is that the markup has ... damn I can't think of the word ... "syntactic meaning"? In other words, the following sample code tells you NOTHING about what the content actually is. Note that it also tells you nothing about style eh?
Code: Select all
<div id="foo">what am I?</div>
<div class="bar">what is my purpose on this web page?</div>

In html5 we could do it exactly that way, or we could put some meaning (not style) into the markup:
Code: Select all
<header>I must be "header" info about the following stuff</header>
<aside>I am marginally related to the content but not critical to the content</aside>
<article>I am the actual content - the point of this page</article>

There's a few more, but that's the idea behind html5 - to put some meaning (not style) into the html markup.
EdB
Dracone

Previous

Return to Quickies