Support forums : Quickies

Twitter Bootstrap

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

Twitter Bootstrap

Postby leeturner » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Have any of you played with the Twitter bootstrap CSS platform - http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/ ?

I am going to put a template together using it but I have been playing with the idea of using it for an admin template. I am not sure yet whether the markup we use in the admin lends itself to bootstrap or whether it would require more of an extensive admin rewrite in terms of the markup used (and effectively making all other admin templates useless) but I might have more of a look to see.
leeturner
Dracone

Re: Twitter Bootstrap

Postby Kimberly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 pm

I haven't. However, visiting the site it does looks interesting.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Actually, looking at this further, I think twitter bootstrap would make an awesome admin interface. I just think it might need more changes than just a new admin template.

I might try and put something together and see what it looks like.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:35 pm

It was interesting to see what we were thinking way back at the beginning regarding the admin - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46&hilit=admin+design#p812
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:31 pm

leeturner wrote:It was interesting to see what we were thinking way back at the beginning regarding the admin - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46&hilit=admin+design#p812

Yes, I came across that topic one day on a search I did for something. Some interesting concepts were presented.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Playing around with bootstrap on the summary php file:

Screen Shot 2012-07-30 at 21.43.30.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-30 at 21.43.30.png (80.84 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:15 pm

I looked at bootstrap a little bit and quickly came to the conclusion that my penis is way too big to be able to deal with style stuff effectively.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:27 pm

EdB wrote:I looked at bootstrap a little bit and quickly came to the conclusion that my penis is way too big to be able to deal with style stuff effectively.

That is why I like bootstrap. I am crap at style stuff so I like it when someone creates a good solid framework that makes things look good.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:46 pm

To be honest, I thought "wow this is cool ... too bad I don't understand it all that well". So yay for seeing something happening with it.

BTW your screenshot looks too wide for my 1024 monitor. Does it scale to fit, or did you develop it thinking of laptop layout?
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:04 pm

EdB wrote:To be honest, I thought "wow this is cool ... too bad I don't understand it all that well". So yay for seeing something happening with it.

I am not sure I understand it all that well yet but I definitely think it could form the basis of a number of things we have been looking at for a while:

* Tidying up the summary.php, multiblog.php etc and getting rid of the old evo look and feel from them (and the standalone.css file they use)
* Maybe a whole new admin template. I think this would take quite a bit of rework of the current markup used in the admin files.
* If we have an admin template that makes use of bootstrap alone then we will have separated the css that the admin uses from the css the front end uses.
* They do all the modal css boxes that we want in a totally consistent way.

EdB wrote:BTW your screenshot looks too wide for my 1024 monitor. Does it scale to fit, or did you develop it thinking of laptop layout?

Not sure about that one to be honest. I can start making checkins to my branch if you like so you can try it out for yourself ?
leeturner
Dracone

Next

Return to Quickies