Support forums : Quickies

contact form overhaul

A home for really quick one-liner thoughts about what we need to fix or do or whatever. If they spark discussion we move it, otherwise this is like post-it notes.

Moderator: Dracones

contact form overhaul

Postby EdB » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Twice now I've made a blog for "contact", then set the url to be index.php?disp=msgform&recipient_id=1 which works but is kinda lame.

So here is where I am at: each blog gets a new section on the Features tab that allows for identifying a recipient_id. It defaults to the blog owner but you can put in any login name you want. It then has a "before" message so you can have some personalized text on the contact form.

I have a field for "after" message but haven't made it work yet. The stand-alone contact form has a mechanism by which it comes back to itself, which is what I was thinking of when I did it. So I figure it shouldn't be too hard to have dis=msgform come back to itself and therefore allow for using that field.

I'm figuring on right now adding a per-blog setting for subject and redirect_to field ... which would default to itself thus using the "after" message field.

Oh and I put $disp=msgform in the stub so it never shows a post if there is any.

Anyway I'm thinking of 2 things now. One is a global setting for the stand-alone message form to act like a real blog. The other is to not even bother with domain.com/contact.php because I can reach that same goal with a stub file.

Thoughts?
EdB
Dracone

Re: contact form overhaul

Postby Kimberly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 pm

I never gave much thought to the contact form. However, I think I see where this could be useful
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:13 am

EdB wrote:Twice now I've made a blog for "contact", then set the url to be index.php?disp=msgform&recipient_id=1 which works but is kinda lame.

Never thought of doing that. Neat !

EdB wrote:So here is where I am at: each blog gets a new section on the Features tab that allows for identifying a recipient_id. It defaults to the blog owner but you can put in any login name you want. It then has a "before" message so you can have some personalized text on the contact form.

I have a field for "after" message but haven't made it work yet. The stand-alone contact form has a mechanism by which it comes back to itself, which is what I was thinking of when I did it. So I figure it shouldn't be too hard to have dis=msgform come back to itself and therefore allow for using that field.

I'm figuring on right now adding a per-blog setting for subject and redirect_to field ... which would default to itself thus using the "after" message field.

Oh and I put $disp=msgform in the stub so it never shows a post if there is any.

Anyway I'm thinking of 2 things now. One is a global setting for the stand-alone message form to act like a real blog. The other is to not even bother with domain.com/contact.php because I can reach that same goal with a stub file.

Thoughts?

I kind of like where you are at with this.

I have been thinking for a little while now that I would like more generic solution like a form builder for QP. Kind of like Gravity Forms for wordpress. Basically you build a form in the backend and embed it in any page/post via the normal text renderer method. This gives us total flexibility to create contact forms, upload forms, anything really and have them anywhere on a site.

Also, having this as a plugin would allow us to strip out all the message form stuff from the core ;)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:18 pm

I like the idea of a form-generating plugin, but I'm not so sure about moving the contact form out of core. To me it is one of those things that you just expect to be there in your web engine, if you know what I mean.

Then again I'm also not very happy with what happens when you add form fields to registration via plugins. Specifically, you can't add in between the existing fields. So like if you want to require a first name and last name they end up looking kinda "illogical" in the order. So if we had a form-generator plugin that handled even basic "requirements" we would be better equipped to customize those forms.

hmmm...
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah, it is definitely one of those what should or shouldn't be in the core type conversations but either way a form generating plugin would be cool either way.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 pm

leeturner wrote:Yeah, it is definitely one of those what should or shouldn't be in the core type conversations but either way a form generating plugin would be cool either way.

L

Yes it would be; It would help with using QP to create more robust websites where the end user of the site built with QP might want to build a custom form for collecting data from a visitor or user of the site.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Regarding a plugin that writes forms, I found a class that does it. Could be useful to someone who wanted to take a go at it?

http://code.google.com/p/php-form-builder-class/ :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 pm

That could be very interesting. Might actually give that form generation plugin a go with that class....... some day
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I am interested, will take a look-see.
Kimberly
Dracone

Return to Quickies